Class Comedians provides an extra-curricular learning
opportunity for senior secondary school-age performers in the
comedy genre, and is run at no cost to schools or students.
To support the Ministry of Education's "Arts in the New Zealand
Curriculum" document in providing students with opportunities to
express themselves through making and presenting artworks as a
positive reinforcement of their self-image and potential. Class
Comedians is also an opportunity for youth to perform in a
community-spirited festival environment. To foster future
involvement in the New Zealand comedy industry by encouraging youth
to see comedy as a valid art form, one that requires a variety of
In context, the students will:
- Develop practical knowledge in comedy, exploring and using the
elements, conventions, processes, techniques and technologies of
- Develop ideas in comedy, individually and collectively, drawing
on a variety of sources of motivation to make comedy happen.
- Communicate and interpret meaning in comedy, presenting and
responding to a wide range of genre within comedy.
- Understand comedy in context, investigating comedy in relation
to their social and cultural settings.
In relationship to the New Zealand Curriculum Framework
students will utilize and extend their own:
- Communication skills
- Social and co-operative skills
- Self-management and competitive skills
- Information skills
- Work and study skills